Beat the Summer Heat with Natures Gift – Cool Cool Cucumber
Here comes Summer Season and everybody seems to feel heat now in this hot Sunny Day…with water and mineral loss and of course you want to beat this heat out by accepting the natures most valuable gift: a well known vegetable known as Cucumber as in a phrase such as “Cool as Cucumber” and nevertheless it is 100% true: the Cool Cucumber is very Cooooolllll in deed. While many people think of cucumbers as vegetables, but it is actually a fruit. They contain seeds and grow from the ovaries of flowering plants. Cucumbers are members of the plant family Cucurbitaceae, which also includes squashes and melons. You will be surprised to know the tons of health benefits of eating Cucumber.
Cucumber available throughout India and is also known as “Kaakdi” in Marathi and “Kheera” in Hindi is an excellent addition to your diet as it has many health benefits you will require to remain healthy in this season. Cucumber (Cucumis sativus) is a widely cultivated plant in the gourd family, Cucurbitaceae. It is a creeping vine that bears cucumiform fruits that are used as vegetables. There are three main varieties of cucumber: slicing, pickling, and seedless.
Cucumbers are good sources of phytonutrients (chemicals of plants which have protective or disease preventive properties) such flavonoids, lignans and triterpenes, which have antioxidant, anti-inflammatory and anti-cancer benefits.
The cucumber has low nutritional value, but its delicate flavor makes it popular for salads and dressing. You may have it in raw, cooked or pickled form. Fresh cucumbers should be firm, well-shaped, and bright green in color. Shelf life can be increased up to 2 weeks if refrigerated. It is also very economical.
- This vegetable contains almost all Macro and Micro nutrients such as Water, Carbohydrate, protein, Fat, Vitamin (except Vitamin A and D), and essential Minerals (Potassium, Sodium Zinc, Iron, Silica, Sulfur, magnesium, Phosphorus) acts as electrolytes makes it excellent diet for this season.
- Cucumber contains almost 95% water and eating them as raw will keep you hydrated and this is the may reason you should have this excellent natures gift. Not getting enough water can cause several problems as water removes out all the toxins and free radicals from your body.
- During the summer, cucumbers help to cool down temperature of body. Cucumber juice act as diuretic, so it helps prevent kidney stones. Cucumbers also counter the effects of uric acid, which prevents inflammation in from conditions like arthritis, asthma, and gout.
- Cucumber benefits range from preventing acidity to keeping skin well-toned. Cucumber helps to regulate the body’s blood pH and neutralizing acidity.
- It regulates blood pressure and contributes to the proper structure of connective tissues in our body, including those in the muscles, bones, ligaments, cartilage, and tendons.
- Cucumbers are very rich source of B Vitamins which helps to regulate the functioning of adrenal glands and counters the harmful effects that stress can have on your body.
- Keeping a slice of cucumber on your eyes and lying down for few minutes can help reduce eye stress and strain and make you feel more relaxed quickly.
- Squash made of Cucumber juice can cure any type of hangover due to lots of minerals and water.
- Recommended food for diabetic patients due to zero Glycemic index.
- Excellent in digestion and helps in controlling blood pressure and cholesterol due to high fiber content, sterols, potassium and magnesium.
- Cucumber is an excellent source of silica, which is well known to help and promotes joint health by strengthening the connective tissues. Cucumber is also rich in vitamin A, B1, B6, C & D, Folate, Calcium, Magnesium, and Potassium and when mixed with carrot juice, and beet juice, can cure gout and arthritis pain by removing excess amount of the uric acid from the body.
- The peel and seeds are the most nutrient-dense parts of the cucumber. They contain fiber and beta-carotene. Beta carotene is an antioxidant that helps with immunity, skin, eye and the prevention of cancer.
- Recent studies showed that flavonoid fisetin may be essential in protecting nerve cells of brain and improving memory and Alzheimer’s and Cucumber are good source of fisetin.
Cucumber should be consumed by cleaning thoroughly as it may contain pesticide and wax coating (for preservation).